Travel Insurance for Fly Drive

Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Cover
Baggage and Personal Effects
Cancellation Cover
Cancelling my Travel Insurance Policy
Changing and Updating my Travel Insurance Policy
Children and Grandchildren
Claiming on my Travel Insurance
Destination and Type of Holiday
Eligibility for Travel Insurance
Medical Conditions and Pregnancy
Ski and Snow Board Travel Insurance
Sports and Activities

Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance

As an annual travel insurance policyholder, do I need to contact you each time I travel?

No, you are free to travel as and when you wish - there is no requirement to contact us unless you feel we can be of assistance with your journey or unless you need to declare medical conditions.

Is it possible to extend the trip limit on the annual travel insurance policies?

No, the trip limit on our annual travel insurance policies is 31 days and is fixed.

If I take an annual travel insurance policy for Europe can I upgrade to Worldwide at a later date?

Yes, please contact us and we will arrange an upgrade.

<< Back to Menu

Baggage and Personal Effects

If I have an all risks household contents policy can I get a travel insurance discount?

Yes, you can select our "Silver" travel insurance cover which is fully comprehensive but without baggage cover.

<< Back to Menu

Cancellation Cover

When does cancellation cover commence?

Cancellation cover commences immediately after the travel insurance policy has been accepted and the relevant premium paid and ends upon your departure from the UK.

<< Back to Menu

Cancelling My Travel Insurance Policy

What if I wish to cancel my travel insurance policy - is there a cooling off period?

A refund of the premium can be allowed only within the first 14 days of the policy being taken out, or before your travel (whichever is sooner) if the policy does not meet your requirements. You cannot cancel your travel insurance and receive a refund of premium after the 14 days or if you travel.

<< Back to Menu

Travel Insurance Claims

Who do I report travel insurance claims to?

In the event of loss or theft of personal possessions and money you must report the incident to the relevant police authority within 24hrs and obtain a copy of their report. If the incident occurred in your accommodation/grounds, the matter must also be reported to the Hotel/Tour rep. In the case of losses involving the carrier, a property irregularity report must be obtained.

Do I have to pay my medical bills abroad?

If it is a small claim for medicines or minor treatment, you should pay and claim. Larger claims can be billed direct to the insurer, subject to you contacting the emergency contact number at the time of the emergency and payment of the policy excess if applicable. If your condition is serious, exceeds £500 in value or requires in patient treatment, you should contact the 24hr Medical Emergency Service - details are contained in the policy document.

Should I take an EHIC form?

We recommend that you and anyone travelling with you to Europe obtain an EHIC form from your local Post Office before travelling, together with the Advice to Travellers booklet. We will not deduct the excess from medical claims where your claim is reduced because of the use of an EHIC form or any other reciprocal health arrangement.

<< Back to Menu

Changing and Updating My Travel Insurance Policy

Can I extend an individual trip travel insurance policy from abroad if I decide to stay longer?

We can extend an individual trip policy providing you let us know before your policy expires and at the time of requesting the extension you are not intending to make a claim. Policies can be extended on a weekly or monthly basis. Many of our clients have found this feature useful when they have been travelling abroad 'backpacking' and decided to stay a little longer.

<< Back to Menu

Children and Grandchildren

Can I include my grandchildren on an annual travel insurance policy?

Yes, but not on a 'family' travel insurance cover basis, they would be treated as individuals.

Can children be insured if they are travelling on their own?

A family is the parents (up to a maximum of two adults) and their children under 18 or under 24 and in full time education. Cover for families shall apply where the appropriate premium has been paid. Both adults and children insured on an annual multi-trip policy are entitled to travel independently of each other.

<< Back to Menu

Destination and Type of Holiday

Do the annual travel insurance policies cover UK travel?

Yes, all our annual travel insurance policies offer cover within the UK providing your trip is for one or more nights in pre-booked accommodation. This cover is not designed to be used whilst staying with friends or relatives in the UK.

Do the worldwide annual travel insurance policies cover the USA?

We offer travel insurance cover either with or without USA. Just select the appropriate destination on the quote screen.

Are One Way Trips covered?

Yes, but all cover ceases as soon as you pass Immigration Control at your final destination. In respect of Curtailment cover, you will be returned to the UK or your final destination, whichever is closer.

Am I covered for a cruise holiday?

Cruise holidays are covered by our travel insurance. Cover is not provided for persons working aboard a cruise ship, or part of the crew.

<< Back to Menu


Am I covered to drive a car in USA?

The travel insurance policy provides cover under the medical, personal accident, and personal possessions sections of the policy, but there is no liability cover provided under your travel insurance whilst driving a car or other mechanically propelled vehicle - this would be covered under your hire car insurance policy provided by the hire company.

If I am hiring a car in USA, how can I ensure I have adequate liability cover?

Check with the car hire company exactly how much third party liability cover is provided. Some car rental companies only provide the legislated state minimum; this varies between states and can be as low as $10,000. We recommend you have at least $2,000,000 third party liability cover - you can purchase further cover if it is not included as standard either from your car rental company or other insurance provider. This product is generically known as "top-up liability" cover. If you are due to depart in the near future, please bear in mind that this policy is for motor insurance and insurers will require a signed application form before they will issue cover.

<< Back to Menu


Who qualifies as a UK resident?

Who qualifies as a UK resident? All persons must be resident in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and registered with a medical practitioner in one of these areas, being the one in which you permanently reside.

<< Back to Menu

Medical Conditions and Pregnancy

What is a "pre-existing medical condition"?

Any health/medical condition that has existed, been diagnosed, treated, known about or which has been or is currently under investigation prior to the start date of the policy. You must declare medical conditions to us as you arrange your cover or if the conditions develop or worsen prior to departure, by contacting the Healthcheck phoneline.

Do you insure people with pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, we are able to cover the vast majority of pre-existing medical conditions under our travel insurance policies without an additional premium loading. However, some conditions may be excluded or require payment of an additional premium. If you have a medical condition for which you require cover we will need to discuss this with you so please telephone our Healthcheck phoneline.

Are Pregnant Women covered by Your Travel Insurance Cover?

Yes there are no conditions or exclusions specifically for pregnancy. However remember to check the Carriers policy towards pregnancy, airlines will accept passage up to a certain time and it varies significantly

<< Back to Menu


Are my belongings covered by my travel insurance whilst in my car?

Items are only covered in certain circumstances - please refer to the policy wording. In any event money, cash and valuables are not covered by your travel insurance whilst in an unattended motor vehicle.

<< Back to Menu

Skiing and Snow Boarding

Can I ski and snowboard off-piste?

Yes, provided that there is someone with you at all times.

Do the annual travel insurance policies cover ski and snowboarding trips?

Yes, up to 17 days per annum.

What equipment is covered by my travel insurance on wintersports trips?

If you select the winter sports option, ski equipment is insured. This is defined as your skis, poles, boots, bindings or snowboards. Our annual travel insurance includes winter sports automatically at no extra premium.

<< Back to Menu

Sports and Activities

Is sailing covered by your travel insurance?

Sailing is covered provided that it is within territorial waters (15 miles off shore).

Am I covered by your travel insurance to travel by motorcycle?

Yes, up to 500cc subject to payment of an additional premium.

Is scuba diving covered by Travel Insurance Plus?

We cover scuba diving up to 30m (100ft). Please ensure that you take your travel insurance schedule with you when you travel, as some countries will not allow you to dive without proof of insurance cover.

<< Back to Menu